Variations provides students with online access to materials outside the IU Cook Music Library, but only if students are enrolled in one or more classes requiring Variations. Sometimes, course enrollment rosters may not include people who need access to the reserve list material outside the library. For example, if associate instructors (AIs) are not listed as the faculty of record for a course, they will not be on the roster. The instructor of record and all enrolled students will automatically be added to the course roster in Variations. These steps are only necessary for AIs or others who do not appear on the Registrar's official course roster.
Putting Someone on the Roster for Your Reserve List
(Note: These instructions are valid only for adding users to a course that has already been authorized for Variations access. To establish Variations access for a members of a class, you may either ask the Music Library to establish a reserve list for that class or send a request to Phil Ponella to authorize the class for access.)
To add someone such as an AI to your course roster, follow the steps below.
- Find the person's IU network login name (this is usually the name before @indiana.edu in their email address).
- Click on this link, Variations Access Manager, which will open a new browser window and ask for your IU login and password.
- Press the "Search" button to find the classes whose rosters you are authorized to manage.
- Select the class to which you want to add the person.
- Press the "Add Member to this Group" button.
- Enter the IU network login name for the person you want to add.
- By default, this person will be protected from being removed from the roster by the automatic roster update that occurs each day. Usually you will want to leave this checked. If the person you are adding is someone to whom you wish to delegate roster management, check the "give update rights" box. Then press the "Add Member" button.
- You should see a message up above indicating the the member was successfully added to the group.
If you encounter any problems adding members, please send a detailed problem report using the Variations Ask for Help page.